Zoodle (zucchini noodle) Pad Thai
If you've never tried a zoodle pad thai then you are missing out because, oh boy is it good! It's also conveniently healthy too ;-)
I couldn't find a recipe I was happy with online, so I have been experimenting and am finally happy with the results!
The ingredients & recipe might look long, but it really is super simple to make and a lot of the ingredients are cupboard ingredients that you may already have, or will need to buy once and they will be there each time you make this (I'm sure you'll make it more than once, it's that yummy & easy to make!).
Ingredients: (feeds two hungry yogis)
Store Cupboard Ingredients:
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 3tbs fish sauce
- a handful of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- a pinch of rock salt
- a few good splashes of sesame oil
- 4 x zucchini (you will also need a spiralizer. I use this one. If you don't have one you could grate the zucchini on a large hole grater. same same, but different!)
- 1 x red pepper (or your preferred colour of pepper!)
- 1/2 a turnip (optional)
- 3 x spring onions
- 2 x red chilli
- a big handful of mange tout
- a big handful of coriander
- 1 x lime
- 2 x big garlic cloves (or 3 small)
- a small piece of ginger
- and any other veg you fancy - I would add beansprouts too but I can never find them in Malta!
- Finely chop your spring onions, red chilli and place to one side in a bowl together. Slice your mange tout into thirds and add to this bowl. Roughly chop your corriander and set aside
- Make your dressing: crush (or very finely chop) your garlic, grate your ginger and add the tamarind paste, fish sauce and the juice from half the lime to this and mix.
- Crush the handful of peanuts and a pinch of dried chilli flakes and rock salt in a pestle & mortar until the peanuts become big crumbs. Set aside.
- Sprialize your zucchini to make your zoodles. I use this very simple spiralizer.
- Finely slice (julienne them if you want to be fancy) your pepper and 1/2 the turnip (if using).
- Heat a BIG frying pan or wok on high heat with a few splashes of sesame oil, when it's heated add the zoodles, pepper and turnip to the pan. Lightly coat all in the sesame oil and fry for a few minutes. Don't cook the veg too much, just so it is heated through -approx 4 minutes.
- Take the zoodle mix off the heat, mix in the spring onions, chilli & mange tout. Add your dressing and mix well. Plate your zoodles and then add some chopped coriander and a sprinkle of your peanut chilli crumbs to the top. Serve with a wedge of lime & extra chilli flakes if you like it hot!
The perfect blend of taste, crunch, spice, yumminess & health!